In this episode, we learn how to use the storyform from an inspiring narrative to help define the structure of your own. But first, a roundup of this month's Dramatica analysis of Spotlight, and an insight into how to run a story room in order to effectively get everyone to come to a consensus as to the most important story point in a narrative--the Main Character Resolve.
Show Notes & Links
- Dramatica Users Group the monthly gathering of Dramatica story experts and newbies looking to better understand this complicated and wonderful theory of story
- Spotlight Analysis the home page for the official deep thematic analysis of the Academy Award-winning film, Spotlight
- Discuss Dramatica the official discussion board for all things Dramatica
- Spotlight Discussion on Discuss Dramatica original discussion earlier this year concerning the Main Character and Influence Character from the film
- When the Main Character is Not the Protagonist an article covering the important difference between these two aspects of narrative
- How to Tell if Your main Character Faces Overwhelming or Surmountable Odds our article from earlier this year describe the Audience Appreciation of Essence and how it defines how dramatic tension feels to an Audience
- Main Character Resolve the key story point to every meaningful narrative. Does the Main Character's worldview Change or does it Remain Steadfast?
- Creating a Story From Scratch for Nanowrimo our first in a series of articles showing how writers can use Dramatica's powerful Gist feature to create original and unique stories
- Brainstorming a Brand New Genre for Nanowrimo the second article in the same series showing how writers can combine Gist Collections to create something truly memorable (and insane!)
- Finding Inspiration for Nanowrimo Within a Great Story the companion article to this podcast and third in our series on using Dramatica to develop stories for National Novel Writing Month
- Become a Narrative First Member! Want exclusive access to our Gist Collections and Storyforming Series video tutorials? Become a member and start accelerating your understanding of Dramatica today
Narrative First theme by Alex Hull. Hear more on his Soundcloud, Operation Solace