In this second part of our two part series, we continue our introduction to the development of the Dramatica theory of story and Narrative First. Join us as we unearth the top 16 articles on story structure & story analysis, everything from evaluating competing paradigms to exploring the magic of Dramatica to the essence of perfect scene structure. If you’re new to Dramatica or Narrative First, this podcast series beckons you forth. And if you’re not new—you just mind fond something you missed the first time around.
The Dramatica Mentorship Program - our premiere service designed to give you the tools and techniques for applying Dramatica’s powerful concepts to your stories.
Show Notes & Links
- Analysis of Jane Eyre the 2011 version directed by Cary Fukunaga
- The Throughlines of Jane Eyre our popular weekly feature returns with a look at this story about relationships
- Our Analysis of Arrival find out the storyform ahead of the Users Group Meeting
- The Dramatica Users Group meeting meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month
- The Narrative First Articles hundreds and hundreds of insightful articles on story structure & story analysis
- Writing Complete Stories the very first complete article that bridges the gap between the vault and the articles. Also, why every Pixar film is better than most other studio films.
- Not Everything Is A Hero’s Journey joyous relief for those who can’t stand this idea of story as some spiritual growth of character thing.
- The Difference Between Neo and Luke Skywalker continuation of why the Hero’s Journey is deficient in its understanding of narrative
- The Luke Skywalker Character Arc video montage showing his problem of Test
- The Neo Character Arc video montage showing his problem of Disbelief
- The MacGuffin is a Story anyone who uses this term does not hold a comprehensive understanding of story
- Plot Points and the Inciting Incident time to retire Inciting Incident in favor of Dramatica’s Story Driver
- The Reason for Acts a companion article to the previous explaining why Acts even exist
- How An Inequity—And A Story—Is Made the basis for the justification process that runs Dramatica
- The Veil Between Author and Audience visualizing the place between intent and understanding
- What You’re Missing By Not Understanding Dramatica, The Real Magic Behind Great Stories, and The Magic of the Storyform all grant insight into why we love Dramatica more than anything else out there
- Forget the Cat, Save Yourself! the Hero’s Journey isn’t the only deficient story paradigm out there…meet orderless beats!
- Distrust the Process™ why figure it out ahead of time, when you can ruin everyone’s lives with last minute changes?!
- The Fallacy of the Two-Hander taking umbrage with the idea of “two” Protagonists
- The Tragedy of James Bond the Antagonist why thinking of him as an Antagonist only confounds your understanding of Dramatica
- The Shawshank Analysis watch the Paleo version of me discuss this great narrative
- The Main Character Playground our tool for freeing your creative mind
- Writing a Perfectly Structured Scene with Dramatica the culmination of all our previous work…up to today.
Narrative First theme by Alex Hull. Hear more on his Soundcloud, Operation Solace