In two months, I’ve re-written a screenplay and planned out two complete television series. The secret? Understanding how to leverage the power of the Dramatica theory of story to craft meaningful narratives. I explain why in this episode as well as successfully predict what would be wrong with Dunkirk from a story structure standpoint! (I recorded this episode before the film was released). Finally, I talk about my re-analysis of Moonlight and explain the exact part of the narrative I felt was missing the first time I saw the film.
The Dramatica Mentorship Program - our premier service designed to give you the tools and techniques for applying Dramatica’s powerful concepts to your stories.
Show Notes & Links
- A Story is an Argument the difference between a series of events and meaningful events
- The Relationship Story Throughline the key to bringing heart into a narrative
- Become a Narrative First Member and gain access to insightful premium content
- My Most Recent Updates the latest and greatest in story structure and story analysis presented in reverse chronological order (i.e., a blog)
- Sing! my analysis of the film and an explanation why it seems so familiar
- Despicable Me 3 my analysis of a film that, while entertaining in parts, lacks a coherent and functional story
- Wonder Woman my deep structural analysis of a great comic-book film from DC
- Storyforming Series: Wonder Woman video tutorial on using Dramatica to analyze the thematic issues of this film. Exclusive to Narrative First Members
- My Improved Analysis of Moonlight incorporating many of the changes I discovered while hosting the…
- Dramatica Users Group Analysis of Moonlight–a 2.5-hour class explaining the Dramatica approach to breaking down a great story.
- The Throughlines of Moonlight further examination of the thematic structure of this Oscar winner
- On the Main Character’s Problem-Solving Style articles and blog posts discussing this vital concept of story structure
Narrative First theme by Alex Hull. Hear more on his Soundcloud, Operation Solace