While some maintain that all stories carry the same structure (they don't), these two films actually do share the same exact storyform.
After answering questions about the difference between the Past and Memory and the right way to think of Signposts, this episode dives into a Dramatica analysis of DeNiro's A Bronx Tale. Unique in its structure, the storyform explains its appeal to female audiences. Both Aliens and Blade Runner: 2049 share the same exact storyform--a rare, but possible scenario, wherein Authors seek to explore a similar approach to resolving problems.
Deliberate Storytelling is a practice whereby the Author creates with intent and purpose. Collaborate with a story expert today and start down the path towards finally writing and finishing your story.
Show Notes & Links
- Differentiating the Past from Memory - Discuss Dramatica forum post on difference between external and internal concerns
- Character Dimensions: McKee vs. Dramatica McKee's blended view of tertiary characters carries some inaccuracy
- A Bronx Tale - Dramatica analysis
- The Throughlines of Aliens visual representation of narrative dynamics in this classic film
- The Throughlines of Blade Runner: 2049 visual representation of narrative dynamics in this latest sci-fi epic
- The Same Story: Aliens and Blade Runner: 2049 in-depth article comparing the narrative structure of both films
Narrative First theme by Alex Hull. Hear more on his Soundcloud, Operation Solace