In anticipation of the Premise Builder, soon to be released for Subtext, I just rolled out a look at the Appreciations of Premise across all 450+ storyforms.
Details and instruction on how these Appreciations work are forthcoming, though those of you familiar with Dramatica theory will likely recognize their source within the storyform.
- Emphasis covers the Main Character Problem-Solving Style
- Engagement is a combination of Main Character Approach and Story Driver
- Perspective is another take on the Main Character Resolve
- Experience is a combination of Main Character Growth and Story Judgment
- Ending is a combination of Story Outcome and Judgment
The values for these keys adjust as a result of different narrative dynamics. For instance, the Endings for a story that emphasizes Self (Holistic Problem-Solving) reflect a different understanding.
These Appreciations are the fastest and most meaningful way for a writer to connect their artistic intent with narrative structure.